For MageRewards to be usable, its display components must be available to customers who are visiting the front-end.
To offer maximum flexibility, store administrators can decide on where and how these components are visible in the front-end through injection of some code into Magento's design files. The integration guide will walk you through this process.
Integrated Content Configuration
As of MageRewards 1.5, we offer a standard way to have the display components integrated into the front-end without having to inject any code into the files. This doesn't offer a lot of flexibility, but if you'd like to get MageRewards up and running as fast as possible, this feature can come in very handy.
In your Magento admin, navigate to Rewards > Configuration > Other Configuration and expand the Integrated Content bar:
To do a manual integration,some code will have to be injected into Magento's design files.
If you're having any problems you may want to check out the Integration Troubleshooting section.
Before Making Any Modifications to Your Templates
Warning: Do not modify files in default/default or base/default. Not only will Magento overwrite these files during an update, upgrades for MageRewards also overwrite these files. Instead, follow these instructions:
- Create a theme directory: default/<your_theme>
- Copy ONLY the files you wish to modify into the exact same folder structure as they appear in the base/default directory.
For example, to modify the product view page phtml file,
copy>> app/design/frontend/ base/ default/template/catalog/product/view.phtml
to>> app/design/frontend/ <your_package>/ <your_theme>/template/catalog/product/view.phtml.
- For example, to modify the product view page phtml file,
- Set your theme in Magento by going to System > Configuration > Design in the admin main menu.
If Magento cannot find the phtml files in the default/<your_theme> directory it will automatically check the base/default directory.
Store Integration Instructions
In order to gain the full benefit of your MageRewards rewards program on your store, we have added these steps that will integrate certain aspects into your own store's custom design.
You don't have to do all of these. Instead, we recommend that you only do the ones you need/want.
- Catalog listing pages
- Product info pages
- Shopping cart
- One page checkout
- Newsletter sign-up sidebox
- Customer: Account dashboard
- Customer: Store page header
- Customer: Order view for Magento 1.3 stores.
- Magento 1.4+ stores will automatically show points in the customer order history view.
Additional Resources Guides
Template path hints
An useful tool that many Magento designers use is template path hints. It is available from the back-end. It helps you discover what phtml file is loading in each template block. This can help show you what file needs to be customized moved or replaced.
Other Design Guides
You might find these unrelated design guides also helpful for setting up the integrated design in your store.
- Modern Theme Tips
- Hellominty Theme Tips
- Customize Global Points String Display
- Display 100 TOKENS instead of 100 TOKEN POINTS, or other points display changes.
- Customize product view - "You will earn X for buying this product"
- How do I remove the send points to a friend feature?
- How do I remove the redemption catalog?
- Customizing and showing the points slider.
- Installing MageRewards Into A Custom Design Package
- Points Currency Troubleshooting
- How To Turn Off The Points Columns In The Shopping Cart